Monday, April 4, 2011

The "Pretty Things Happen In My Head" Skirt


This skirt is a perfect example of something that looked soooo much better in my head than outside of my head.  I wish Hubby could sew because every time we work on something together he has this amazing super hero power that can extract what I want something to look like out of my head.  Unfortunately, he does not sew so I have to figure this out myself.  When I finished the skirt I put it on and showed Hubby and he gave me a "yuck" look.  He said the color was horrible and the skirt looked like it was from the seventies trying to make a comeback.  Great...this one goes in the trash.  I know some of you would say "Who cares what he thinks?"  I care what he thinks because he has to look at me everyday.  That is just how it is.


I based this skirt after the Flirting The Issue Skirt.  I changed it up a bit my decreasing the amount fabric and I only sewed two elastic channels into the waist instead of four channels.  The result is this stunning thing.  I am not going to be completely self deprecating about my modeling picture, but I know it is horrible.  This skirt is wrong for so many reasons, but the main reason is because I should not wear this style of skirt.  I have a very short torso with practically no waist and long legs.  I am only 5'3" so a skirt with a high waist makes me look even shorter than I am.  This project is a bust.  So I am moving on with my dignity in tact (even after the very embarrassing modeling picture) and I am going to try a different type of skirt - one with a waist and a zipper.

If you remember, this skirt was on my To-Do list.  I am now finished with everything on the list except the Pine Derby Car.  Sorry, the car is not going to happen anytime soon. 

Other than the finishing the skirt last week, I took a day off work just to clear my head.  These were some of the things I saw in my yard that afternoon.

My Dog - He likes to roll in the grass.

The strawberry plant that survived winter.

A surprise flower in the flowerbed.

Our weekend was fun:  we hung out with our friends who were visiting from back east, went to a redneck Scottish games (Yes, it is everything you can imagine it to be), ate some great Thai food, and hung out with my fam including our new little nephew.

What did you do this weekend?  Do you have any exciting projects planned this week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Essie Sews is a drama free, mean free, spam free zone. I reserve the right to remove any of said type of comments. I don't mind differing opinions, however when they cross over into mean, then I mind. Thanks for understanding!