Monday, March 21, 2011

Who Wants To Think About Landfills?


Hubby and I recently kicked our trash service to the curb (pun intended).   We did this to save a little more money a month and to take care of our own trash removal.  The problem with canceling our trash service is that we have to figure out where we can recycle all of our plastic beyond the crv plastic.  Sending everything to the landfill is a unsettling for me.  There is one place in our little town to recycle everything, but...we just kicked them to the curb, and we do not want to hire this particular company again.  Great, now what?

One of the items that we use A LOT are paper towels.  Hubby is a paper towel addict.  He admits it, so it is okay that I write it.  He uses paper towels, wads them up, and leaves them everywhere.  When his brother lived with us, Hubby would blame him.  But then his brother moved out and the wadded up paper towels were still hanging around the house.  No, I take that back,  they were not hanging out, they were loitering...very rudely.  I would love to stop using paper towels all together, but I have to figure out how to make it Hubby's idea (Hubby if you are reading this...I didn't mean it...yes I did).

So now that I tattled on Hubby, I will admit that I have a small problem with paper towels too (I write small because at least I throw them away).  I have napkins on hand, but I don't like them very much.  They are too big...they are just standard sized napkins, but I don't like napkins that big.  All I need is a small cloth to wipe my fingertips and dab my mouth...you know like a proper lady.  Who am I kidding?  I am anything but a lady...my mom tried to make me into a lady, but I was a little too much of a tomboy.  I made napkins from a deconstructed tablecloth I found at the thrift store for a $1.  The tablecloth had a border sewn around the edges.  The border became my napkins.  The size of the napkins is a little odd (6 1/2" wide x 11 3/8" long) but they will work perfect for me.  Now, I have to put them in a convenient spot so that I remember to use them.

What do you all do to help reduce the waste in the landfills?

Update on my no spending:  I made it and I think I might continue.  I still have to finish my To-Do list so I should be able to make it at least another week...well, at least another two days ;).

1 comment:

  1. About two years ago I saw a blog post on Soule Mama where she used all of her scrap fabrics to make cloth napkins for her family...and now we do the same. I used all of our scraps that were 10ish x 12ish and sewed an edge around. I love getting them out and casually passing them around the table when guests are over. They always "oh and awe" and I shrug..."what? these? they were nothing to make..." But I find them to be just the handmade touch to place in my children's hands (and guests') every day!

    ReplyDelete

Essie Sews is a drama free, mean free, spam free zone. I reserve the right to remove any of said type of comments. I don't mind differing opinions, however when they cross over into mean, then I mind. Thanks for understanding!