Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Organization: Notions

Sewing notions are small items such as pins, needles, snaps, seam ripper, and various tools.  The organization of my sewing area led me to separate Notions and Tools.  I have separated the two because I keep the Tools close to my sewing machine and Notions in containers on my fabric-case.   


On the top shelf of the fabric-case are four jars that I use to collect buttons, small patterns, and other miscellaneous goodies.  On the bottom shelf I have a box that I use to store elastic, velcro, ric-rac, bias trim, fray block, extra needles...all of the items that I don't use all that often. 


This box is awesome because it stores all of this...


...And this...


...And it fits on the fabric-case nicely.  Win Win.

My tips for you...because everyone is so different...is to collect like items in one container and keep your most used items close to your sewing machine. 

You can use any container to store notions...a photo box, a tool box, jars, baskets, buckets, plastic drawers, etc...  And I bet you can find something around your house until you can upgrade to containers that are a bit more decorative (if you are into that sort of thing).  You could even take a shoe box, wrap the body of the box and the lid of the box in paper or fabric and put a label on it.  Or, if you shove your supplies in the closet, you don't have to decorate them at all...I have those type of containers too...a cardboard box to hold my paper and a plastic bin to hold my paints and paint brushes.

And, if you need some help getting started, here are some ideas:


By A Creative Mint

Via Pick Up Some Creativity

Via Pinterest

Good Housekeeping

BHG
How is your organizing coming?

~Leslie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Essie Sews is a drama free, mean free, spam free zone. I reserve the right to remove any of said type of comments. I don't mind differing opinions, however when they cross over into mean, then I mind. Thanks for understanding!