Thursday, November 10, 2011

A New Running Headband Part 1

Winter hit our little town over the weekend.  And exercising in winter is brutal.  I am a fair weather runner, I will be honest.  When winter hits I usually quit running.  But, since I am getting older and the extra pounds like to hang out longer than I prefer, and I feel like a psychopath unless I can get some of my aggression out...I have to exercise.  I am determined to run throughout the winter...and I will let you know how that is going in a couple of months.

I am so awkward taking pictures of myself.  This is a little embarrassing.

Where I live it is windy, not breezy...Windy.  Wind and cold means combined means cold, hurting body parts while running.  Yesterday morning, the temp was 34° with a real feel of 28°.  So, I wore 10 articles of clothing (not including my running shoes) for my run...1 pair of underwear (I do not use the P word - it makes me cringe), 1 sports bra, 1 pair of socks, 2 pairs of running pants, 1 short sleeve shirt, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 sweatshirt, 1 pair of gloves and 1 new headband.  I normally wear a beanie, but my head ends up feeling like it is baking in an oven.  My solution:  wear a headband that covers my ears but allows the top of my head to feel the crisp morning air.  Problem:  I am cheap and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a headband.  Answer:  make a headband out of a fleece sweatshirt.

I tested my new headband this morning.  The verdict:  It works, but it needs some improvement.




The pros:  A) Lightweight, B) Fits my head well, C) Wicks away sweat (I was not expecting this to happen), D) Kept my head warm, and by the end of the run my ears were warm too.

The cons:  A) Lightweight - I need to beef it up a bit, B) Not tight enough under the ears - I could feel cold air on my ears.

I had originally posted a tutorial for this headband, but I think it needs some work.  Off to work on a better headband and then I will get back to you.

Anyone else out there cheap like me and make your running gear?  Do you have any nifty ideas or tutorials you want to share?

~Leslie

2 comments:

  1. So glad to know I am not the only one who feels crazy from time to time ... I have got take up running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @*amanda.grace
    I love feeling like I am going to die with each step I take :) Maybe that is why I feel so good after I run...because I did not collapse on the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete

Essie Sews is a drama free, mean free, spam free zone. I reserve the right to remove any of said type of comments. I don't mind differing opinions, however when they cross over into mean, then I mind. Thanks for understanding!